Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Cool Assembly Work At Home images

A few nice assembly work at home images I found:

Philadelphia – Old City: Independence Hall – Clock
assembly work at home

Image by wallyg
Independence Hall, on Chestnut Street bwetween 5th and 6th Streets, was built by Edmund Woolley and Andrew Hamilton, the Speaker of the Pennsylvania Assembly, in 1753 as the Pennsylvania State House. But it was the events that took place between 1775 and 1787 that earned it the name Independence Hall, and reinforce its iconic status as the Birthplace of the Nation. It is within its walls that the the delegates to the Second Continental Congress met, the Declaration of Independence was approved, and the Constitution of the United States was debated, drafted and signed.

Construction on the redbrick Georgian style building, at the time the most ambitious public work in the colonies, began in 1732. The five-part plan included a 105-foot long main block, two covered arcades, and two 50-foot long wing buildings at the end of the arcades. The Provincial government paid for construction as it went along–piecemeal for 21 years. The building has undergone many restorations, notably by Greek revival architect John Haviland in 1830, and by a committee from the National Park Service, in 1950, returning it to its 1776 appearance. The bell tower, consisting of a wooden steeple set atop the three-story brick house, was the original home of the Liberty Bell and today holds the Centennial Bell, created for the United States Centennial Exposition in 1876.

From 1775 to 1783, the Hall served as the principal meeting place of the Second Continental Congress, a body of a body of representatives from each of the thirteen colonies. The Declaration of Independence, which was authored by Thomas Jefferson and declared the unified colonies independent of the Kingdom of Great Britain, was approved there on July 4, 1776, though the vote was held two days earlier and the Declaration was read aloud to the public in the area now known as Independence Square. On June 14, 1775, delegates nominated George Washington as commander of the Continental Army; and on July 26, they appointed Benjamin Franklin the first Postmaster General of what would later become the United States Post Office Department.

During September of 1777, Philadelphia was occupied by the British Army, and the Continental Congress was forced to abandon the State House and flee to York, Pennsylvania where the Articles of Confederation were approved in November. The Congress returned on July 2, 1778, after the end of the British occupation.

In the summer of 1787, Independence Hall hosted the Philadelphia Convention, now also known as the Constitutional Convention. The original intent was to discuss adjustments to the Articles of Confederation, but the Convention decided to propose a rewritten Constitution, resulting in a new fundamental government design. On September 17, 1787, the Constitution was completed, and took effect on March 4, 1789, when the new Congress met for the first time in New York’s Federal Hall.

In 1790, the Congress moved back into Philadelphia and first met in Congress Hall, the small adjoining east east wing. Philadelphia would remain the seat of the federal government until 1800, with Independence Hall serving as the Capitol Building with executive offices, and the Supreme Court assembling in Old City Hall, the small adjoining west wing. These three buildings, togetyher with Philosophical Hall, today make up Independence Square.

Here the first foreign minister to visit the United States was welcomed; the news of Cornwallis’s defeat was announced, signaling the end of the Revolutionary War; and, later, John Adams and Abraham Lincoln lay in state. On October 26, 1918, Tomáš Masaryk proclaimed the independence of Czechoslovakia on the steps of Independence Hall. On July 4, 1962, President John F. Kennedy gave an address here on Independence Day.

Independence Hall is pictured on the back of the U.S. 0 bill, as well as the bicentennial Kennedy half dollar. The Assembly Room is pictured on the reverse side of the U.S. two dollar bill, from the original painting by John Trumbull entitled Declaration of Independence.

Independence National Historical Park preserves several sites associated with the American Revolution. Administered by the National Park Service, the 45-acre park was authorized in 1948, and established on July 4, 1956.

Independence Hall was designated a World Heritage Site on October 24, 1979.

Independence National Park Historic District National Register #66000675 (1966)

Salt Lake Tabernacle, Salt Lake City, Utah
assembly work at home

Image by Ken Lund
The Salt Lake Tabernacle, also known as the Mormon Tabernacle, is located in Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah along with the Salt Lake Assembly Hall and Salt Lake Temple.

The Tabernacle was built to house meetings for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS or Mormon church), and was the location of the semi-annual LDS General Conference for 132 years. However, because of the growth in the number of conference attendees, the LDS General Conference was moved to the new and larger LDS Conference Center in 2000. Now a historic building in Temple Square, the Salt Lake Tabernacle is still used for overflow crowds during General Conference. The Tabernacle is the home of the world-renowned Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and was the previous home of the Utah Symphony Orchestra until the construction of Abravanel Hall. It is the historic broadcasting home for the radio and television program known as Music and the Spoken Word. In 2005, the Tabernacle was closed for 2 years of intensive renovations that greatly increased its ability to withstand earthquakes. It was reopened and rededicated during the Saturday afternoon session of the Church’s General Conference on March 31, 2007 by Hinckley. The Museum of Church History and Art opened an extensive display on the Tabernacle as part of the rededication of the historic edifice.

The Salt Lake Tabernacle was inspired by an attempt to build a Canvas Tabernacle in Nauvoo, Illinois in the 1840s. This tabernacle was to be situated just to the West of the Nauvoo Temple and was to be oval shaped, much the same as the Salt Lake Tabernacle. However, the Nauvoo edifice (never built) was to have amphitheater style or terraced seating, and was to have canvas roofing.

The Tabernacle was built between 1864 and 1867 on the west center-line axis of the Salt Lake Temple. The aluminum-covered roof was constructed in an Ithiel Town lattice-truss arch system that is held together by dowels and wedges. The building has a sandstone foundation, and the dome is supported by forty-four sandstone piers. The overall seating capacity of the building is 7000, which includes the choir area and gallery (balcony).

Henry Grow, an LDS civil engineer oversaw the initial construction of the Tabernacle, the domed roof being the most innovative portion of the building. Brigham Young, President of the LDS Church at the time, wanted the Tabernacle roof constructed in an elongated dome shape. When Young asked Grow how large a roof he could construct using the style of lattice that he had used on the Remington bridge, Grow replied that it could be "100 feet wide and as long as is wanted." Eventually, Grow engineered the Tabernacle roof to be 150 feet across and 250 feet long. Skeptics insisted that when the interior scaffolding was removed, the whole roof would collapse. The roof structure was nine feet thick, formed by a "Remington lattice truss" of timbers pinned together with wooden pegs. Green rawhide was wrapped around the timbers so that when the rawhide dried it tightened its grip on the pegs. When the roof’s structural work was completed, sheeting was applied on the roof, which was then covered with shingles. The interior was lathed and then plastered – the hair of cattle being mixed with the plaster to give it strength.

Construction of the Tabernacle began on July 26, 1864, but construction of the roof did not begin until 1865 when all 44 supporting sandstone piers designed by William H. Folsom were in place. Grow rapidly built the roof structure from the center out, but encountered difficulty engineering the semicircular ends of the roof. This difficulty dragged structural work on the roof into fall of 1866 even as other parts of the roof were being shingled. However, Grow finished and shingled the entire roof by the spring of 1867, before the interior of the building was finished. The Tabernacle was first used for the October 1867 conference. The roof has lasted for over a century without any structural problems, though the shingles were replaced with aluminum.

The original benches and columns supporting the balcony were made from the native "white pine" (Engelmann Spruce) that the Latter-day Saint pioneers found in the area. Because they wanted to give their best to the Lord, they hand painted grain on the benches to look like oak and the pillars to resemble Tennessee marble. During the renovations completed in 2007, the original benches were replaced with new oak pews, and legroom was increased from 9 to 14 inches, causing an overall loss of capacity of 1000 seats.

The organ in the Tabernacle has the organ case positioned at the west end above the choir seats, and is the focal point of the Tabernacle’s interior. The original organ was made by Joseph H. Ridges in 1867 and contained 700 pipes. The organ has been rebuilt several times with the total pipe count being 11,623, making the Tabernacle organ one of the largest pipe organs in the world. The current organ is the masterwork of G. Donald Harrison of the Aeolian-Skinner organ company, and was completed in 1948. The organ was renovated and restored in 1989 with a few minor changes and additions. Interestingly, the largest 32′ display pipes in the façade are made of wood and were constructed in the same manner as the balcony columns.

The structure was an architectural wonder in its day, prompting a writer for Scientific American to comment on "the mechanical difficulties of attending the construction of so ponderous a roof." Some visitors around the beginning of the 20th century criticized it as "a prodigious tortoise that has lost its way" or "the Church of the Holy Turtle," but Frank Lloyd Wright dubbed the tabernacle "one of the architectural masterpieces of the country and perhaps the world."

Built at a time before electronics and audio amplifiers, the Tabernacle was constructed with remarkable acoustic qualities so the entire congregation could hear sermons given there, mainly for General Conference. The roof was constructed in a three-dimensional ellipse with the pulpit at one focus of the ellipse. The elliptical concept came from Brigham Young, the Latter-day Saint prophet. The elliptical design causes a large portion of the sound from the pulpit end of the building to be concentrated and projected to the focus at the opposite end of the building. Furthermore, the roof rests on sandstone piers around the outside, without any interior supports that would impede the sound waves.

Several years after the initial construction was completed, Truman O. Angell was brought in to further improve the building’s acoustics, and was responsible for adding the gallery (balcony) in 1870 that resolved the outstanding acoustical issues. The building has an international reputation as a nearly acoustically perfect building. It is common for LDS missionary tour guides to demonstrate the acoustic properties of the Tabernacle by dropping a pin on the pulpit or tearing a newspaper there, which can be plainly heard throughout the building.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_Tabernacle#cite_ref-3

Salt Lake Tabernacle, Salt Lake City, Utah
assembly work at home

Image by Ken Lund
The Salt Lake Tabernacle, also known as the Mormon Tabernacle, is located in Temple Square in Salt Lake City, Utah along with the Salt Lake Assembly Hall and Salt Lake Temple.

The Tabernacle was built to house meetings for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS or Mormon church), and was the location of the semi-annual LDS General Conference for 132 years. However, because of the growth in the number of conference attendees, the LDS General Conference was moved to the new and larger LDS Conference Center in 2000. Now a historic building in Temple Square, the Salt Lake Tabernacle is still used for overflow crowds during General Conference. The Tabernacle is the home of the world-renowned Mormon Tabernacle Choir, and was the previous home of the Utah Symphony Orchestra until the construction of Abravanel Hall. It is the historic broadcasting home for the radio and television program known as Music and the Spoken Word. In 2005, the Tabernacle was closed for 2 years of intensive renovations that greatly increased its ability to withstand earthquakes. It was reopened and rededicated during the Saturday afternoon session of the Church’s General Conference on March 31, 2007 by Hinckley. The Museum of Church History and Art opened an extensive display on the Tabernacle as part of the rededication of the historic edifice.

The Salt Lake Tabernacle was inspired by an attempt to build a Canvas Tabernacle in Nauvoo, Illinois in the 1840s. This tabernacle was to be situated just to the West of the Nauvoo Temple and was to be oval shaped, much the same as the Salt Lake Tabernacle. However, the Nauvoo edifice (never built) was to have amphitheater style or terraced seating, and was to have canvas roofing.

The Tabernacle was built between 1864 and 1867 on the west center-line axis of the Salt Lake Temple. The aluminum-covered roof was constructed in an Ithiel Town lattice-truss arch system that is held together by dowels and wedges. The building has a sandstone foundation, and the dome is supported by forty-four sandstone piers. The overall seating capacity of the building is 7000, which includes the choir area and gallery (balcony).

Henry Grow, an LDS civil engineer oversaw the initial construction of the Tabernacle, the domed roof being the most innovative portion of the building. Brigham Young, President of the LDS Church at the time, wanted the Tabernacle roof constructed in an elongated dome shape. When Young asked Grow how large a roof he could construct using the style of lattice that he had used on the Remington bridge, Grow replied that it could be "100 feet wide and as long as is wanted." Eventually, Grow engineered the Tabernacle roof to be 150 feet across and 250 feet long. Skeptics insisted that when the interior scaffolding was removed, the whole roof would collapse. The roof structure was nine feet thick, formed by a "Remington lattice truss" of timbers pinned together with wooden pegs. Green rawhide was wrapped around the timbers so that when the rawhide dried it tightened its grip on the pegs. When the roof’s structural work was completed, sheeting was applied on the roof, which was then covered with shingles. The interior was lathed and then plastered – the hair of cattle being mixed with the plaster to give it strength.

Construction of the Tabernacle began on July 26, 1864, but construction of the roof did not begin until 1865 when all 44 supporting sandstone piers designed by William H. Folsom were in place. Grow rapidly built the roof structure from the center out, but encountered difficulty engineering the semicircular ends of the roof. This difficulty dragged structural work on the roof into fall of 1866 even as other parts of the roof were being shingled. However, Grow finished and shingled the entire roof by the spring of 1867, before the interior of the building was finished. The Tabernacle was first used for the October 1867 conference. The roof has lasted for over a century without any structural problems, though the shingles were replaced with aluminum.

The original benches and columns supporting the balcony were made from the native "white pine" (Engelmann Spruce) that the Latter-day Saint pioneers found in the area. Because they wanted to give their best to the Lord, they hand painted grain on the benches to look like oak and the pillars to resemble Tennessee marble. During the renovations completed in 2007, the original benches were replaced with new oak pews, and legroom was increased from 9 to 14 inches, causing an overall loss of capacity of 1000 seats.

The organ in the Tabernacle has the organ case positioned at the west end above the choir seats, and is the focal point of the Tabernacle’s interior. The original organ was made by Joseph H. Ridges in 1867 and contained 700 pipes. The organ has been rebuilt several times with the total pipe count being 11,623, making the Tabernacle organ one of the largest pipe organs in the world. The current organ is the masterwork of G. Donald Harrison of the Aeolian-Skinner organ company, and was completed in 1948. The organ was renovated and restored in 1989 with a few minor changes and additions. Interestingly, the largest 32′ display pipes in the façade are made of wood and were constructed in the same manner as the balcony columns.

The structure was an architectural wonder in its day, prompting a writer for Scientific American to comment on "the mechanical difficulties of attending the construction of so ponderous a roof." Some visitors around the beginning of the 20th century criticized it as "a prodigious tortoise that has lost its way" or "the Church of the Holy Turtle," but Frank Lloyd Wright dubbed the tabernacle "one of the architectural masterpieces of the country and perhaps the world."

Built at a time before electronics and audio amplifiers, the Tabernacle was constructed with remarkable acoustic qualities so the entire congregation could hear sermons given there, mainly for General Conference. The roof was constructed in a three-dimensional ellipse with the pulpit at one focus of the ellipse. The elliptical concept came from Brigham Young, the Latter-day Saint prophet. The elliptical design causes a large portion of the sound from the pulpit end of the building to be concentrated and projected to the focus at the opposite end of the building. Furthermore, the roof rests on sandstone piers around the outside, without any interior supports that would impede the sound waves.

Several years after the initial construction was completed, Truman O. Angell was brought in to further improve the building’s acoustics, and was responsible for adding the gallery (balcony) in 1870 that resolved the outstanding acoustical issues. The building has an international reputation as a nearly acoustically perfect building. It is common for LDS missionary tour guides to demonstrate the acoustic properties of the Tabernacle by dropping a pin on the pulpit or tearing a newspaper there, which can be plainly heard throughout the building.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salt_Lake_Tabernacle#cite_ref-3

Find out about the Best Shopping Sites for Mom’s on the internet…



Assembly, Cool, Home, images, Work

No comments:

Post a Comment