Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Mt. Jellore

Check out these work from home australia images:

Mt. Jellore
work from home australia

Image by Kyle Kruchok
I’ve known this girl online for years. I mean that literally. When I was first getting into my photography ‘career’, i began using DeviantART, and really enjoyed the chatroom feature of it. I spent many hours learning techniques, discussing, critiquing, and being critiqued. A lot of active participation on that. One day, I get a flood of comments from this girl, Genevieve, or Gen as we all called her, and she’s all ranting and raving, paying particular attention to my work.

Well, I began to return the favour, criticizing, critiquing, commenting, and what have you, and I think we’ve both grown heaps (Aussie term!) as photographers. I look at some of my initial work, and some of hers, and really appreciate how much it helps to have someone give you their honest, and unbiased opinion, even if it isn’t always the most positive, for that’s what makes you better. Right?

I was offered the same position in New Zealand, as a cellarhand, at the beginning of this year, and turned it down to try something new. Australia wasn’t much further away, and I at least knew someone there, as in New Zealand, I knew no one.

Work commenced at the winery January 25th, and I worked pretty much every day up until April 9th, where they officially said, "Thanks for your services, we don’t have enough work to keep you around." Begin: Travel! I’ve been to Melbourne numerous times on weekends before, and after the vintage so I think I had a pretty good idea what that was all about St Kilda Beach, Elizabeth Street, Bourke Street, and a few others that were nearly as important, and crucial to the economy of Melbourne.

I hopped the 7:55PM train to Sydney, directly after a shower, after work on that Friday the 9th of April, and haven’t looked back since. I learned a lot about the wine industry while working there. I also learned a lot about myself, working there. Few things I liked, and a few things I didn’t. I feel that I grew as a person though, which is about all I can ask for.

Sydney’s sunrise came upon me a mere ten hours later, through the dirty, and scratched tram windows, and I was seriously sleep (and food) deprived. Not more than 30 metres from the door of the railway station, I had my eyes set on the dingey food stand. Awesome. Greasy, and quite possibly, deadly street vendor food! Could not be better, especially after not even having a chance to get lunch (let alone dinner) the previous day.

Heart attack on the horizon, I wiped my face, and threw in the towel (napkin). It was time to find a real bed. I kept walking ’til I found the YHA. A largely commercial hostel / backpackers hotel designed at making anyone feel like they’re back in college. From parties that go on, on the rooftop plaza, to the "morning after" breakfasts, they’ve got everything. It’s really great, and quite cheap too! (The college bit was mostly referring to the dorm-style living, which I’ve grown quite accustomed to, as it was how I lived in New Zealand).

A few days passed, I walked around town and enjoyed all the sights and sounds ’til one day I was sitting in front of the Opera House, eating my Subway, when it hit me. GENEVIEVE. I just HAD to meet her in real life. Scarfing down the sandwich, I raced (literally) (I think I won) back to the hostel, which was about 3 and a half kilometers up into the city, hopped on the computer, and shot her a message.

The next day we met up, went to the beach (awesome beach weather for that day too – not too hot, nor too cold), then had dinner at a Mexican restaurant. All in all, it was quite a productive day, but unfortunately, it had to come to an end, because she had work the next day, and had to drive back home (hence the picture above).

A few days later, we hung out again, and I got to see her property. Her parents own a few acres, and they border the nature reserve which has this Mt. Jellore in it (largely out of the frame). Sitting on her porch, sipping a cup of tea, and munching on the fruitcake her mother made earlier that morning, I got my camera out, and got a couple of snaps of what she saw every day. She’s still confused as to why I saw this as being so amazing.

When you live in a place for months on end, with no sort of landmarks other than trees (i.e.: No hills of any sort, as far as the eye can see), you begin to appreciate any sort of depression, or rise in the landscape. And that’s what I was doing. Appreciating.

About the photo: I know, I know, I know. This is GRAINY AS! but I like it. And if I were to print it, (full size) it wouldn’t be nearly as grainy as you see here. It’d be much more even, and much less noticeable. Now my only problem is… where do I print a 48"x72" black and white photo?

Oh, and how could I forget… Gen’s work

52.38 – Upside down on a pillow in sepia
work from home australia

Image by dichohecho
Creative thinking going on here, evidently.
Monday: Work? Yes. Ummm. Bras! We’re in Blue Cross now, which is basically just sale with more promotion. Not sure what else happened today. Anna and I had interesting suppers this week but I can’t remember this day specifically. It might’ve been our amazing creation. Aubergine, squash, sweet potato and onion cooked on the hob until mushy with moroccan type spices, then put in the oven with yoghurty cheese sauce on top to brown. Very yummy.
Tuesday: I went out and had coffee with Amy(just back from Plymouth), Caroline(just back from Norwich) and Meg(just back from Fiji/Australia/New Zealand). We had lovely girly chats and wandered around giving Meg’s CV in at various shops. We’re thinking of having some kind of girly holiday, either a nice island somewhere or interrailing.
Wednesday: I had the day off and Anna and I decided to go to the book barn at Hallatrow. It’s amazing! I don’t know why we haven’t been before. There are thousands and thousands of books! (surprising I know). Some of them were 20p :) I bought a book of Jane Austen fragments (the ones that never got completed/published) and a book about travelling around Europe. Anna got some too I think.
On the way we stopped in Glastonbury and looked around a bit, had lunch and wrote a couple of postcards. Anna had lovely looking vegetable chilli which came with very yummy guacamole. I’ve taken a photo but I have a week or so of backlog :s
We took turns driving and both had a bit of fail. We went the wrong way out of Bridgwater, all the way round a roundabout in Glastonbury, got confused about lanes and stopped at a green light in Wells and turned off in the wrong place. We’re safe drivers though!
Thursday: Worked. In the evening we re-heated the Thai curry I’d made (possibly on Tuesday) and had that for supper. Then I went out with the lingerie gang in Taunton for a bit. Everyone else moved on to Shout from Perkin but I didn’t feel like it so I went and joined some school friends in Mambo which was nice.
Friday: I worked again… I got visited by a girl I went to primary school with who loks very different now and is also pregnant! She found me via Facebook a week or two ago so it wasn’t a complete surprise.
The rest of my family returned from Cornwall, although I only saw them for half an hour or so as in the evening a few of us went out to celebrate Meg’s return and stayed at her house. It was a very nice evening. I got a few odd looks in Tesco buying my contribution to the drinks alongside 2 packets of sweets…
Saturday: I came home, showered, ate some soup Mum’d made with the remaining squash and went to work. It was a really beautiful day, very sunny and warm enough to use the sunroof!
At work we had mini eggs, strawberry bon bons and sherbert lemons in aid of easter and our supervisor’s birthday. It was nice.
Sunday: We all went to see our cousins near Bath for lunch & the afternoon. We had a nice walk and bored them with Mum’s photos of Cornwall.
I have a big Lindor egg, a smaller buttons one and a set of cake-shaped magnets. Yay!

Melbourne, Australia
work from home australia

Image by philipbouchard
A wide greenbelt follows both sides of the Yarra River extending eastward from the city center. The route is popular with both walkers and bicyclists. Many of the bicyclists are commuters heading home after a day working downtown.

Find out about the Best Shopping Sites for Mom’s on the internet…



Jellore

No comments:

Post a Comment